I brought my slow cooker up to Vermont last week, but forgot the canned tomatoes to make this recipe. This week I was better prepared! The dinner was VERY easy to assemble and quite tasty to our entire family, all 5 of us. The kids had it over rice, Matt and I just ate it in a bowl with a spoon to ensure we got every drop!
Here is the view from the Summit yesterday morning. It was a gorgeous day and great skiing. Ok, so back to the recipe …
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 hours on low
3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into cubes
- 2 cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1/2 can of tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, diced or 3 or 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 – 2 red peppers, chopped, depending on how much you like
- 1/2 – 1 cup mushrooms (optional, my kids don’t eat them so I omitted)
- 2 tbsp. garlic infused olive oil
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup fresh oregan0, chopped
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic or white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the olive oil in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Then, place in the chicken.
- Layer the onions or scallions and red peppers on top of chicken.
- Add all tomato products, the vinegar, herbs and salt and pepper.
- Turn the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
- Check in on things hourly and stir from time to time.
At around 5 hours things will really start to smell delicious. By the time it is done cooking, have your table set because you will want to eat ASAP!