This chicken recipe is one of Noah’s favorites. Since he is a little under the weather (as the result of a bad ski accident last weekend), I wanted to make sure his belly was happy, if nothing else.
This recipe is inspired by the Better Butter Chicken recipe in Everyday Paleo. However, since I actually don’t use butter or ghee in my version, I figured it would make more sense to change the name. The key to this recipe is the spices. You really must include every spice in the recipe and if you are missing something, wait until you get it to make it. Trust me on this one!
4 Spice Chicken
Prep Time: 10 – 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 – 25 minutes
Servings: 6 – 8 depending on how hungry everyone is
3 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tbsp. of garlic infused olive oil or regular olive oil and 1 tbsp. of minced garlic
- 1 tsp. cardamom
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 2 tsp. fenugreek (you may need to order from amazon, you MUST have this)
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 6 ounce cans of tomato paste
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups of full fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper
- Add olive oil to a dutch oven on low to medium/low heat.
- Add all 4 spices to pot and stir to make a sticky paste.
- Then add tomato paste and stir well.
- Add coconut milk, 1/2 cup at a time, continuing to stir.
- The sauce should be rich and creamy.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and then add the salt.
- Cover the pot and let chicken cook for 10 to 15 minutes until tender, stirring from time to time.
- Serve chicken over sautéed kale or chard.
Be prepared to lick the pot when you are cleaning up and/or save the extra sauce. It makes a great condiment for virtually anything! With this batch, I saved the sauce in the frig for about a week and when I had some extra chicken thighs from a different recipe I was making, I made another batch for Noah to snack on after school and for lunch the next day!