I admit it, sometimes I can’t really must up the motivation to cook dinner from scratch. There is one pre-made sauce that I have bought at Trader Joes for years. I still have a jar of Curry Simmer Sauce laying around my pantry just in case. The funny thing is that when I used it this time, I re-read the ingredients.
It is a little hard to see in this photo, but curry is actually NOT one of the ingredients. It has tomatoes, onions, oil, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, cloves, lemon juice, paprika, red pepper, garlic and salt and pepper. I am sure I could try to re-create it, but this is my emergency dinner starter, kind of like a paleo version of hamburger helper.
I cut up some jicama to go with the dinner. The boys were SO excited. I haven’t bought it in a while and they all love it and fought over the last few pieces (with me too)! I made a little carrot side dish to go along with it which included cilantro. I hadn’t been to the market in several days so the herb kind of represented our green vegetable … I know pathetic. Here is what you do:
Chicken with Curry Simmer Sauce:
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Servings: 6 or so, depending on how much chicken and veggies you add
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into pieces
- 1 jar of trader joes curry simmer sauce
- any veggies you have on hand – I used shredded carrots and cut up a big red pepper
- 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- On medium heat, place olive oil in large sauté pan
- Add chicken and sauté until pink is starting to go away
- Add veggies and 1 whole jar of sauce to pan, continuing to stir.
- Lower heat and simmer until chicken is cooked and veggies are moist.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 – 7 minutes
Servings: 5 or so
- 8 large organic carrots washed and sliced (peeled if you want, but I didn’t as this was my lazy meal)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 – 2 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 1 – 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Drop or 2 of maple syrup
- Sprinkle of paprika
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Boil Carrots in a saucepan until the desired consistency.
- Drain and transfer to a bowl
- Add all other ingredients in the order listed above and stir well.
- Taste to make sure it is yummy and adjust ingredients as needed.
- You could add some dried fruit to this like raisins or currants, cherries or cranberries, I just didn’t have any to add.