So, here I am baking again, when I am not supposed to. This time I used the excuse that I was baking for friends who needed a pick up. (Ben had back surgery and Jacob had a horrible infection and was hospitalized). So, let’s call these muffins get well muffins. I had TONS of brown bananas, too many for smoothies or anything else creative, so I was actually putting the fruit to good use and doing something kind. Kill 2 birds with one stone, except for the fact that it sabotaged my four day perfect paleo streak.
The muffins were inspired by a recipe from Primal Cravings, which is one of my most favorite cookbooks. Look for a dinner recipe I will post this week from there. It was a huge success with all 5 of us!!
Get Well Muffins – adapted from Primal Cravings
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Servings: About 12 – 15 muffins
2 really ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup melted butter (or you could try coconut oil or ghee, but I can’t promise the consistency)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (you could sub maple syrup, but probably 1/3 cup)
- 1 tbsp. double strength vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup or more chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli bittersweet.)
- 1/2 cup or more of chopped nuts (I used pecans.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin tin with silicone or paper liners.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients in a larger bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in chocolate chips and pecans.
- Fill liners almost to the top and bake.
- Check on muffins part way through to avoid over-cooking.
Eat these warm or cold, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack or dessert. They are DIVINE!