This recipe was really really really yummy. All 5 of us ate it happily on one of the recent snow days we had. I think I liked it the best, though. I actually didn’t find the recipe … My friend Sue was making us dinner way back when all my friends were helping out right after Noah’s ski accident. She was really kind and although her family isn’t remotely paleo, she searched up a bunch of paleo recipes for me to check out. She made a fantastic pulled pork from Civilized Caveman http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/crockpot/crockpot-pulled-pork/ and I decided to make this slow cooker curry chicken from thelemonbowl.com. Admittedly, I changed things up a lot, so I could probably just say it was my recipe, but it was definitely inspired by her post, so I want to give her proper credit!
Slow Cooker Curry Chicken – Inspired by thelemonbowl.com
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours on low in the slow cooker (her instructions say you can do 4 hours on high, but every time I have tried to make my slow cooker go “fast” my protein winds up rubbery!)
Servings: 6 with leftovers for lunch the next day
2 – 3 lbs. boneless chicken breast, cut into cubes (I made 3, but you can definitely just do 2)
- 4 – 6 scallions chopped
- 2 red peppers diced
- 4 – 6 large organic carrots, sliced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 – 1 1/2 cans tomato sauce
- 1 can tomato paste
- a few dashes of sriracha, you can always add more when serving
- 3 tbsp. curry powder
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- salt and pepper
- In the bottom of your slow cooker, combine the coconut milk, chicken broth, tomato sauce, tomato paste, curry, salt and pepper and sriracha
- Then add chicken and veggies (feel free to add other green veggies too, like zucchini or broccoli, I just would wait until closer to the end of the cooking cycle)
- Combine all the ingredients together, until well coated.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- About 4 – 6 hours in, your kitchen will start smelling DIVINE!
- Check on things in the last 2 hours, as my recipe was done in about 7 hours.
- Add cilantro prior to serving, in the last 15 minutes or so.
- I served my chicken over sautéed kale and everyone else had it over rice.
I dare you not to like the slow cooker with your fingers to get the last drops of sauce. If you like curry, this is the dish for you!!!