I originally posted this recipe back in April, but was never happy with the sauce or presentation, so here they are again all updated and much better this time. The recipe was inspired by Mark Sisson’s Primal Blueprint Quick & Easy Meals. Last time I made them, I threw together a tomato based curry sauce and it was just too heavy for these light meatballs. So, take 2 – my new sauce was largely made with red curry paste and coconut milk. I also served them on parsnip and zucchini noodles. The parsnip noodles are a little time intensive because you have to peel the parsnips and spiralize them. Then I sautéed them with some coconut oil, salt and pepper. Whereas with zoodles, there is no peeling and no cooking to speak of, just maybe a little time in the microwave. It was the first time that I made parsnip noodles, though, and they are fantastic! I added the zoodles in too for some color (you know I also like to eat a rainbow) and so I didn’t have to make another green veggie for our meal. This sauce was great for the meatballs as a meal and you could also use it as a dipping sauce if you were serving these as an appetizer.
Curry Meatballs with Thai Sauce and Parsnip Noodles
Prep Time for Meatballs: 10 minutes
Prep Time for Sauce: 10 minutes
Cook Time for Meatballs: 10 minutes
Cook Time for Sauce: 10 minutes
Servings for Meatballs: About 35 small meatballs
Servings for sauce: Enough for the meatballs, plus a little extra
Ingredients for the Meatballs
2 pounds of ground chicken or turkey (dark meat will help them stay moist)
- 1/2 bag of shredded carrots or 2 or 3 large carrots, finely chopped in the food processor
- 1 tbsp. garlic infused olive oil or 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. of curry powder
- 1 tsp. salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Ingredients for Thai Sauce
- 1 tbsp. red curry paste
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tbsp. maple syrup or honey (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 – 3 tsp. arrowroot flour, dissolved in 2 times the amount of water (4 – 6 tsp.)
Instructions for the Meatballs:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two cookies sheets with parchment paper.
- Shred the carrots in the food processor.
- Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and mix thoroughly with your hands.
- Form golf-ball sized meatballs and place on the tray. Note that the smaller you make them, the faster they will cook and vice versa.
- Place in the oven and cook for ABOUT 10 minutes. Cut a meatball in half to check. You do not want to overcook these because they will dry out, so don’t get distracted!
- Serve with Thai Sauce and veggie noodle of your choice
Instructions for Thai Sauce:
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, add the coconut oil and let it melt.
- Add the red curry paste, the coconut milk and stir well.
- Add the arrowroot flour (this will help the sauce thicken). Start with 2 tsp flour/4 tsp water and if it isn’t thick enough, add a little more.
- Allow the sauce to start to bubble, stirring constantly.
- Add some chicken broth – 1/8 cup at a time, up to 1/2 cup.
- Add maple syrup or honey if desired.
- Simmer while the meatballs finish serving.
Serve meatballs on top of veggie noodles with the sauce on top. Less is more for this sauce, don’t overload the meatballs as they are very tasty in their own right!