So if you have been following my blog since the beginning, you will notice that I have already posted this recipe. (Actually, I just deleted it in my blog re-org project because I didn’t want you to waste your time.) I made it the other night and followed my directions, but the meal just wasn’t that good. It has been really bothering me every since then, so I made it again tonight. (Can you say OCD?) This time it was really fantastic. Light, citrusy, warm, tender, much better. Double thumbs up from everyone!
New and Improved Citrus Ginger Chicken
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 6 +/-
3 pounds of boneless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 1 can of hearts of palm
- 1/2 package pre-cut sliced mushrooms (optional)
- several sprigs of fresh thyme, chopped
- Juice from 1 medium sized orange
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. minced ginger
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup or honey (optional)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (I had oil that was infused with lemon and orange, so used that. Don’t buy these unless you think you would use for something else)
- 4 medium zucchinis, cut into zoodles
- 1/4 chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- Heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil in dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add chicken thigh pieces and allow to cook well on one side before turning. This will allow the chicken to brown a little bit.
- When just a little bit of pink remains on the chicken, start adding the other ingredients – peppers, hearts of palm, lemon juice, juice from the orange, ginger, chicken broth, mushrooms if you are using them, salt and pepper.
- Continue to simmer on low about 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini last so that it doesn’t get mushy. If you don’t have a spiralizer or a mandolin to cut into zoodles, you can certainly dice it. (My kids won’t eat zucchini, but will eat zoodles, so it was worth the effort)
- Simmer another minute and let the pan sit for a few minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
Serve in bowls and slurp it up. YUM!