So the last time I made mashed sweet potatoes, Zach looked at the empty skins and said, can you ever make these and stuff them back into the skins? Well, I did that and more by adding lots of flavor, a little fat and some nice lean protein. Everyone loved them, except for Noah, who hates sweet potatoes, but I kind of knew that going in. This meal isn’t a just for dinner thing – it would definitely be yummy for breakfast, post workout, lunch, snack etc. The best part is that it was super easy to make!! Julie Bauer from Paleo OMG has a similar recipe, but I was going for a different flavor in my version.
Savory Turkey Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 – 40 minutes, including making the sweet potatoes
Servings: 6 – 8 (if you want less, cut the recipe in half)
3 large sweet potatoes
- 2 lbs. ground turkey
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 6 – 8 strips of bacon or turkey bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. garlic infused olive oil or 1 tbsp. EVOO and 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- a few dashes of sriracha, depending on how spicy you want it (I used 6)
- salt and pepper to taste
Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees
- Wash the sweet potatoes and cut them in half.
- Lay them face down on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20 – 25 minutes. You will know they are done when you can easily scoop them out of the skin.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, place a large skillet or dutch oven on medium heat and warm the olive oil.
- Add the turkey and cook until just a little bit pink.
- Add the bacon and scallions and stir.
- Add all of the spices and mix through thoroughly. Taste mixture to make sure it is nicely seasoned.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked and slightly cooled, scoop out the sweet potatoes from the skin and add it to the turkey mixture. Set aside the skins.
- Reduce heat in the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all the ingredients and scoop back into the skins. They will be really stuffed, which is how they should be.
- Place stuffed sweet potatoes back onto the parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for another 5 minutes or so.
- Serve immediately.
I have to admit, this was so delicious that I ate all of my dinner zone blocks while I was making dinner, so do your taste testing for seasoning with caution!