So, this is not my usual post as it is really not meant for family consumption, at least not my family. I made this strictly for me to eat for lunches and dinners this week if/when the kids were not eating my home-cooked dinners. (It was vacation week for me too, ya know). It was inspired by a dish I had at Bolocco a few weeks ago. I made it in stages, so it was NOT time intensive at all. I will spell it all out for you and maybe you will do the same?
Chicken, Squash, Quinoa and Kale Bowl
Prep time: Chicken – 5 minutes, Squash, – 5 minutes, Quinoa – 1 minute, Dressing – 1 minute
Cook Time: Chicken – 10 minutes, Squash – 20 minutes, Quinoa – depends, follow package instructions, Kale – 5 – 7 minutes
Servings: Approximately 3 to 4 lunch/dinner sized portions or more snack sized portions
- 1 lb. chicken thighs
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 bag frozen quinoa or 1 cup +/- cooked quinoa
- 3 cups +/- of chopped kale (I brought pre-cut and washed organic kale)
- 1/2 cup sautéed mushrooms (optional)
- 1/3 cup cooked beets (optional)
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 – 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard (depending on how much you like mustard, I really like it)
- 1/4 balsamic vinegar or vinegar of your choice
- 1 – 2 tbsp. olive oil (I used one that was infused with oranges)
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash of maple syrup or honey (optional)
- Cook the chicken thighs according to my super chicken thigh recipe. I actually suggest you make more than a pound so you can have pre-made chicken for other things you might make during the week and for kid snacks. (fast protein!) https://contemporarycavegirl.wordpress.com/2013/09/29/paleo-pad-thai/
- Once cooked, cut chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Roast the butternut squash – pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the squash on a large parchment paper lined cookie sheet with a tbsp. or so of olive oil. I again used the orange infused one which was REALLY yummy.
- Once squash is cooked, cut into bit sized pieces. (If you do this before you roast, it tends to burn, at least mine does)
- Cook your quinoa according to the package instructions unless you are using frozen. If you use frozen, just let it defrost in the frig.
- If you are adding the mushrooms and beets, sauté in a small frying pan with a little olive or coconut oil.
- Combine dressing ingredients (mustard, vinegar and olive oil) in a small bowl.
- Take out a large frying pan or dutch oven and warm 2 tsp. coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the kale and cook down until it is green, but still really tender.
- Add the chicken, squash, quinoa and mushrooms and beets if you are using, one at a time, stirring to combine well.
- Pour the dressing over the mixture and simmer for a minute and add salt and pepper.
- Sample your creation to make sure it doesn’t need tweaking like some extra vinegar, oil, mustard or even a dash of maple syrup or honey.
- Serve immediately and save the extras in a large storage container so you can warm as desired.