I have had a craving for this recipe for a while. My friend Marybeth borrowed it and she just returned it. YAY! This is from Weeknight Paleo by Amber Bean, which is a great paleo cookbook with tons of easy recipes that your whole family can enjoy. I changed things up a little bit, but not a ton. My family devoured it and I think Jeremy had more meatballs than anyone else. I just don’t get where he puts it all … This is a pork recipe and although I usually don’t cook with ground pork its distinct taste really makes the meatballs. However, I know lots of you don’t eat pork and so dark meat ground turkey is a fine substitute. I don’t think I would do it with ground beef or lamb.
I originally posted this recipe with a carrot and cucumber salad which was just kind of ok. I made them again today and put them over rainbow carrot zoodles. What a difference. If you like crunchy, just leave the carrots raw but otherwise steam for a minute or two in the microwave. You will need about 8 – 10 carrots to have enough for the meatballs.
Thai Meatballs with Sesame dipping sauce
Prep Time: Meatballs – 10 minutes
Cook Time: Meatballs – 15 minutes
Servings : 24 +/- golf ball sized meatballs
Ingredients – meatballs:
- 2 lbs. ground pork or dark ground turkey
- 1/3 cup chopped basil
- 3 – 4 scallions (green part), finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. garlic infused olive oil or 2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Red Boat fish sauce or other paleo brand you like
- 1 – 2 tsp. Sriracha, depending on how spicy you like things
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup or honey (optional)
- 3 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients – sauce:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. garlic infused olive oil
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 4 – 6 drops of sriracha
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
Instructions – meatballs:
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with your hands.
- Shape meat into golf ball sized meatballs and bake in the oven for 12 – 15 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, make the sauce
Instructions – sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and then cool.
- Drizzle on top of meatballs or serve on the side for dipping.