If you are eating paleo or close to it, one thing you can not live without is mayonnaise. There is not a brand out there that doesn’t have something in it. Do not fear, in less than 1 minute you can make it yourself, I swear. The thing is, this mayo is so beautiful, fluffy and delicious, you will never eat the crap out of the jar again, really. If you do not own an immersion blender, you must buy one to make this recipe. If you use it for nothing else except for making mayonnaise, I would still consider it a worthwhile expense. I can’t remember how much mine was (Cuisinart), but you guessed it, I bought it on amazon earlier this year. If you have one of those Bed, Bath and Beyond coupons, that might be just the thing to use it on. You can make mayo the old fashion way with a blender, but it is much more labor and time intensive and this will produce the same or even better results!
Fast mayo (You must have an immersion blender for this recipe, nothing else will work!)
Prep Time: 1 minute
Cook Time: None
Servings: About 1 cup of mayo
• 1 egg
• 1 tbsp. lemon juice
• ½ tsp. salt
• ½ tsp. dried mustard
• 1 cup light tasting olive oil (do not use regular olive oil as the taste will not be as lovely!)
- Pour olive oil into a mason jar.
- Add all the remaining ingredients in no certain order.
- Insert the immersion blender into the jar.
- Turn it on and slowly lift it out of the jar while you count to 20.
- Remove the immersion blender and clean it off with a spoon to get every last drop.
- Stir the mayo to make sure it is well mixed.
VOILA – there you have it. This recipe also makes a fantastic science experiment if you have kids. It is incredibly versatile as a base for dips and sauces. It will last in the frig for as long as your eggs will last. A batch in our house usually lasts a week to 10 days. You will notice that this mayo is so creamy, that you do not need as much of it in recipes as the jarred kind.