I first made this recipe last fall (actually September 2013) when I was just getting started with my blog. Things have changed a lot since then both in my posts and my pictures. What hasn’t changed since then is the taste of this dish. It is a make yummy noise out loud at the table and I don’t care what anyone thinks kind of dish. Even if you are not a huge fan of pecans, you can navigate this dish as they are just on the top. But if you love pecans like I do, this is right up your alley!
Sweet Potato Casserole with a Kick
Prep Time: 20 minutes, excluding baking the sweet potatoes
Cook Time: 20 – 25 minutes
Servings: 8 – 10 side dish servings
For the Filling:
• 6 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cooked
*TIP* the easiest way to cook and peel sweet potatoes, if you have time, is to cut off the ends, fork them and bake them in the oven at 400 for 45 minutes or so. Then you can tear the peel right off without an effort. No cutting or peeling!
(if you can’t do the step above, then peel, cut and boil them)
• 2 – 3 tbsp. ghee
• ½ cup coconut milk
• ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
• ¼ cup maple syrup
• 3 tbsp. fresh orange juice (I took the juice from 1 orange and had enough for filling and the topping.)
• Salt to taste, about 1 – 2 tsp.
For the Topping:
• 2 tbsp. ghee
• ¼ cup maple syrup
• ¼ cup coconut sugar
• 1 tbsp. orange juice
• 1 tbsp. vanilla (I used double strength)
• ¼ tsp. salt
• 2 cups pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mash sweet potatoes by hand or with an immersion blender. Then combine the potatoes with the rest of the filling ingredients and blend until smooth.
3. Pour into a medium sized casserole dish.
4. Melt ghee and pour into a medium sized bowl. Then add the rest of the topping ingredients except the pecans and salt and combine well.
5. Add pecans and salt to the bowl and stir to coat the pecans.
6. Pour on top of sweet potatoes and bake for 25 minutes.
Let sit for about 5 minutes after removing from the oven and then serve. This dish is also delicious as leftovers for breakfast, especially if everyone else is eating non-paleo pumpkin pie, which is what happened at my house!