I have been trying hard to create my own unique recipes for the past several months. But I still have so many wonderful sounding recipes from paleo cookbooks that I have not tried yet. This is one of them, from Well Fed 2. I can’t promise you that it as kid friendly as most of my recipes, but I can promise you that if adults are eating it, you will LOVE it!
West African Chicken Stew – slightly modified from Well Fed 2
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 4 – 6
- 2 lbs. chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 tbsp. minced ginger
- 1 tbsp. garlic infused olive oil or 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp. coriander
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can fireroasted diced tomatoes
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sunflower butter
- sunflower seeds (optional)
- parsley (optional)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large dutch oven, warm coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add chicken and generously salt and pepper.
- Flip the chicken to make sure it is cooked through and then remove from the pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the sunflower butter and the vanilla.
- Combine well and then add the chicken back to the oven.
- Allow to simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes.
- Add in sunflower butter and vanilla and combine well.
- Allow flavors to meld for a few minutes and then serve.
- Garnish with parsley and sunflower seeds, if desired.