All I can say about this recipe is YUM. I was very skeptical when Julie, the Fitness Director at the Kingsbury Health Club, told my paleo nutrition class about this concoction. I figured I would make the recipe some day, but in a recent turn of events and the need for me to change up my diet a bit, this seemed like just the thing I needed. Guess what, not only was it yummy, it was so easy to make too. The best part of all is that Chia Seeds are a super food! They contain tons of Omega 3s, lots of fiber and are filled with anti-oxidants. They are loaded with vitamins and minerals and also contain protein to boot.
The coolest thing is that chia seeds can absorb up to 10 times their weight in liquid. So after just a few hours hanging out in the frig, these babies swell and develop a gel-like consistency. Sounds like a science experiment, right? This pudding is incredibly versatile, as you can eat it for breakfast, as a snack and for dessert, actually anytime would work. I just ate it plain, but you can layer on toppings to make it like a paleo sundae. Think about these choices: 1) paleo krunch 2) pumkin seeds and raisins with cinnamon 3) fresh berries and coconut flakes 4) dark chocolate and sunflower seeds.
The vanilla version is from the Domesticate Me website, but I also recently made a chocolate version with is arguably as good, if not better.
Chia Seed Pudding (Vanilla or Chocolate)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours + in the frig
Servings: 5 1/3 cup servings
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk or almond milk
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract for vanilla version only
- 2 tbsp. cacao powder for chocolate version only
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup or 1 dropper full of liquid stevia
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients.
- Whisk together to combine.
- Make sure there are no chia seed clumps.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, but longer is even better.
- If the pudding is too thick (especially the chocolate), add 1/8 – 1/4 cup of hot water to bowl and stir thoroughly.
- Add toppings suggested above or be creative and add something original of your own.