I get a lot of requests for breakfast ideas without using eggs. It always seems like a silly request – why wouldn’t you eat eggs for breakfast – they are the perfect food! Now, sadly, I am one of those people too, as I am not eating eggs as part of my 6 week elimination diet.
I had planned to make and post this recipe when I was in California, but didn’t get around to it. I googled it because I forgot to jot down the ingredients before I left and the coolest thing happened, my post of this recipe from the elementary school healthy eating blog that I maintain came up on my search. Google really does work. The recipe is adapted from Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo.
Pumpkin and Tahini Hot Cereal – Adapted from Practical Paleo
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
- 2 tbsp. tahini
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 – 3 tbsp. shredded coconut (more if you don’t add other stuff, less if you do)
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. coconut or almond milk
- 2 slices of turkey bacon, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
- 2 tbsp. raisins (optional)
- 2 tbsp. pumpkin or sunflower seeds (optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Warm over medium heat until bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
The original recipe calls for cinnamon, not nutmeg, but cinnamon is another one of the foods I have had to eliminate. Nutmeg was a great alternative. Also, I wanted to add some protein, thus the turkey bacon, which has a much more protein than regular bacon. I bought applegate farms nitrate free brand and it worked perfectly.
The recipe makes 2 servings, but it is hard to control yourself and not eat the whole pot in one sitting!