So this recipe is really much more about the sauce than the calamari. In fact, if the calamari scares you, just skip it altogether. You could add another type of seafood like shrimp or scallops if you want or just have a vegan kind of night. My kids love calamari, at least the kind that is greasy and fried. I wasn’t going there, so I thought this was a fair compromise. I found wild caught calamari in the frozen fish section at Whole Foods.
Spicy Tomato Sauce with Calamari
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 – 45 minutes
- 2 lbs. cleaned and sliced calamari or other seafood of your choice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 6 0z. can tomato paste
- 1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 14 oz. can diced (fire roasted) tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (or more if you like your sauce spicier)
- Add olive oil to a Dutch oven and warm over medium heat.
- Add in garlic and onions, sauté until golden.
- Add tomato products and combine well.
- Add balsamic vinegar and remaining herbs and spices.
- Stir and let simmer for 20 minutes or so.
- Remove sauce from heat and use your immersion blender to make the sauce smooth.
- Add seafood to sauce, return to heat and simmer for another 15 minutes or until seafood is cooked through.
- Serve over zucchini noodles or steamed greens.