I bought red palm oil from amazon months ago after reading that it was a healthy cooking fat. Actually, healthy is putting it mildly – Red Palm Oil (from the fruit, NOT the kernel) it is a powerful anti-oxidant, that is filled with tons of nutrients like beta-carotene and vitamin E. It also has powerful benefits, helping to protect against neurological degeneration. It originates from West Africa and has been used in traditional medicine for centuries. So this recipe is simple, yet flavorful and just a little unusual, but in a good way.
Red Palm Oil Chicken
Prep Time: 5 minutes, 30 minutes, plus to marinate
Cook Time: 12 minutes or so
Servings: 6 – 8
- 3 lbs. boneless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 3 tbsp. red palm oil
- 1 tbsp. garlic infused olive oil
- 4 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Pour marinade over chicken and marinate for 30 minutes if possible, but longer is even better.
- Pre-heat your grill to medium.
- Place chicken on the grill and cook for 6 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken and cut open to make sure it is cooked through.
- If so, allow to cool slightly before serving, if not, place back on the grill for another 3 minutes or so.
I served the chicken with homemade sweet potato, carrot and jicama fries. Look for a post on those soon!