I saw this recipe for Spiralized Tzimmes posted on Inspiralized.com a few weeks ago and I knew immediately that I was going to make for the holiday this week. For those of you who don’t know, tzimmes is a traditional dish that includes sweet potatoes, carrots, prunes and other dried fruit in a thick, sticky, sweet sauce. Needless to say, my parents and aunts and uncles don’t have the fondest memories of eating it. I wanted to change the image and was happy to wow everyone with this dish. It still contained the core ingredients of sweet potatoes and carrots, but I replaced the prunes with raisins and used maple syrup, which is a little less sticky, instead of honey. The result was delectable!
Spiralized Tzimmes – Adapted from Inspiralized.com
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 – 20 minutes
Servings: 12 – 15 side dish servings, cut the recipe in half or in thirds if needed
- 6 medium sized, oblong shaped sweet potatoes, peeled
- 9 large carrots, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 – 1/2 cups raisins
- 1 – 1/2 cups dried apricots, chopped
- 6 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 – 2 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 6 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 – 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash, Peel and Spiralize the sweet potatoes and cut them into manageable pieces with kitchen sheers.
- Place a medium sized sauce pan filled with water on high to boil.
- Add the chopped carrots and cook until softened slightly, but still a little crisp.
- Warm the coconut oil in a large sauté pan and add the sweet potatoes to the pan with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook the sweet potatoes until softened as well. You might need to do this in 2 batches if you make the full recipe.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, orange juice, cinnamon and maple syrup.
- Take out a large baking dish and add the sweet potatoes and carrots, mixing well.
- Then add in the raisins and the apricots and mix again.
- Pour the juice mixture over the sweet potatoes and stir well.
- Place dish in the oven and bake for 15 – 20 minutes, taking it out before it gets crispy.
You can make this dish earlier in the day and bake just before serving.