I SO want a better picture for this recipe, as this one does not do it any justice. It literally took me less than a minute to throw this together. Imagine two options 1) Pour the sauce out of the crock pot into dutch oven and combine with basmati rice. Dinner for the kids, DONE; 2) Serve over a bed of crisp romaine lettuce accompanied by sliced avocado or guacamole and salsa. Lunch or dinner for anyone, DONE. Unfortunately, I was running late and I did not have time to set up these options, although I actually served them, just in a very hastily fashion. Kids gave their version a 7.5 out of 10. I will take that. Matt gave his version a 9. That is better!! This steak is so versatile, though, you could eat if for breakfast with some sweet potato hash, you could stuff it into a burrito for your kids’ lunch. Pretty much anything goes.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 7 hours
- 3 lbs. of beef – I used grass-fed flat iron steak, which is on the thin side
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 can beef broth
- 1/2 tbsp. oregano
- 1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp. paprika
- 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp. salt and pepper, each
- Take out your slow cooker and place the meat in the bottom. Try to get it all to lay as flat as possible.
- Combine the spices in a small bowl.
- Rub the spices on the meat to coat it well, top side only.
- Add onions and broth, cover and cook.
- After at least 6 hours, check the meat to make sure it is tender. If not, cook a little longer.
- Shred with 2 large forks and gobble it up!