I have to be honest, I probably never would have made this recipe unless my friend Julie said how good it was AND that her kids devoured it. It was the creation of Juli Bauer from PaleOMG. You can always count on this blogger to make really delectable recipes. While the apple scooping was somewhat time intensive, the rewards of my labor were well worth it. I would say this is a weekend recipe, not weekday because of that. My kids have been begging me to make it again and have been checking the freezer to make sure I have ground pork!
Heavenly Pork Stuffed Apples – Adapted from PaleOMG
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 – 40 minutes
Servings: My piggy family ate all of these in one meal, but I would say 1 – 2 apples per person
- 9 apples, cut in half and hollowed out with a melon baller. (I used organic honeycrisp)
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, diced in the food processor
- 2 lb. ground pork
- 3 tbsp. garlic infused olive oil or 2 tbsp. olive oil and 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. dried sage
- 2 tsp. salt
- about 3 tbsp. melted ghee
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet, add the garlic infused olive oil and the scallions and sauté for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the pork to the skillet, followed by the celery and then the remaining spices and vinegar.
- Combine well until cooked through, but still VERY moist.
- Spoon pork mixture into apples.
- Drizzle about 1 tsp. of ghee on top of each stuffed apple.
- Place cookie sheets in the oven and bake for about 30 – 35 minutes until browned.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes as the apples will be SO HOT!
- Serve and watch them disappear.