I finally did it.! I made a batch of homemade bone broth. It has been on my list to do for so long. I made a whole chicken the other night and right when I was getting ready to through out the bones, I realized I should save them and make broth.
So, what is the big deal about bone broth? Well, it is very inexpensive to make and unbelievably nutrient dense. Bone broth is incredibly healthy for your digestion and digestive track. It is filled with minerals, bone strengthening agents and inflammation reducing compounds. It can also work to heal leaky gut. Many people sip it as an alternative to tea.
From a cooking perspective, you can use it in any recipe that calls for broth or stock or use it as a base for any kind of soup you want to make. Although bone broth won’t last too long in the frig, you can freeze it for up to a year. I have heard that some people fill an ice cube tray with broth and freeze it. When they need broth for a recipe, they just remove a cube or two and thaw. Pretty cool, huh? I just bought some ice cube trays to try it myself.
To find out much more about bone broth, check out the link from Whole 9 to learn more: http://whole9life.com/2013/12/whole9-bone-broth-faq/
Bone Broth (Chicken)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 24 – 36 hours
- bones from at least one, but as many as 3 pastured chickens
- 1/4 apple cider vinegar
- 2 – 4 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 – 4 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1/2 – 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 – 2 tsp. salt and pepper
- Fresh herbs (parsley, dill) optional
- Place bones in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Pour apple cider vinegar over the bones.
- Fill the crockpot with water until the bones are just barely sticking out.
- Add roughly chopped vegetables, herbs and spices.
- Cook on low for at least 24 hours.
- Let broth cool and store in mason jars and/or pour into ice cube trays to freeze.
- Make sure you leave room for expansion in the mason jars so that they don’t crack, like one of mine did, I should add.
- If there is fat that has congealed once the broth cools, you can scoop it off the top with a spoon.
- Again, store in the frig for up to 4 days or freeze for up to a year.