So, I have been dying to make something in my new Creuset Dutch Oven. Matt bought it for me as a just because present. While I certainly love things that sparkle, cooking supplies are a close second for me these days. I saw two recipes for braised chicken this week that kind of inspired me to fool around and make my own thing. There is not a morsel left and the scores for dinner ranged from 89.2 to 95.5. Not too shabby!
Rustic Braised Chicken
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 – 50 minutes
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 3 tbsp. ghee or grass-fed butter
- 2 large sprigs of rosemary
- 2 – 3 ounces of sundried tomatoes (rehydrated)
- 1 can of salad cut hearts of palm
- 1 cup chopped baby bella mushrooms
- 3 tbsp. capers
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot flour
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Place Dutch Oven on stove at medium heat.
- Add 2 tbsp. of ghee and once melted, add chicken thighs.
- Salt and pepper chicken and cook for about 10 minutes, turning every 2 minutes.
- When chicken is almost done, remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Add one more tbsp. ghee and sauté mushrooms, heart of palm, sundried tomatoes and capers.
- Add chicken broth, vinegar and arrowroot flour and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken back to pan and coat well with the sauce.
- Add rosemary sprigs to pan too.
- Place in the oven to finish cooking for about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, salt and pepper again if needed and serve after pan sets for 5 minutes.