Pesto Stuffed Tomatoes
Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms
I have never been a huge fan of pesto, but I think it was because I knew I couldn’t eat it with all the dairy etc. When I was preparing for the catering gig I did a few weeks back, I decided to give pesto another shot. I looked at a lot of different recipes and presentations. I liked a recipe from Danielle Walker (Against All Grain) the best, but wanted to serve it my way. Ultimately, for my catering affair, I used the pesto as a dip with veggies. I had planned to make pesto stuffed tomatoes and made a whole batch to practice, but ultimately they were too time intensive and I was short on time. For Thanksgiving I made pesto stuffed mushrooms, with my niece Zoe in mind. She is a vegetarian and with all the animal protein flying around my house, I wanted to make sure she had an appetizer that she would love too. What is nice about this recipe is that you can make it a few days in advance of when you will actually need it and I think it gets better with age. This batch lasted in my frig for 6 days!
Pesto, 2 ways – Pesto recipe adapted from Danielle Walker
Prep Time: Pesto – 10 minutes, Stuffed Tomatoes – 30 minutes, Stuffed Mushrooms – 10 minutes
Cook Time: Pesto – none, Tomatoes – none, Mushrooms – 5 – 7 minutes
Servings: About 3/4 cup
Ingredients for the Pesto:
- 1 cup packed basil leaves, stems removed
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. garlic infused olive oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Instructions for the Pesto:
- Lightly toast the pine nuts in a small skillet for about 5 minutes. Make sure to remove pine nuts from burner and even the pan, as they will keep cooking and may burn.
- Add basil leaves, pine nuts and lemon juice to your food processor and process well.
- Then, slowly add the olive oil a few tbsp. at a time, while processing.
- Add salt and taste and adjust as needed. Less is more for the salt!
Ingredients for the Pesto Stuffed Tomatoes:
- One batch of pesto
- Pine nuts
- 1 pint Sungold or Grape Tomatoes
Instructions for the Pesto Stuffed Tomatoes:
- Slice off the tip of the Sungold Tomatoes and hollow out the inside with a 1/4 tsp.
- Fill 2 tomatoes with pesto and skewer onto a toothpick so that they will “stand up”.
- Garnish with extra pine nuts.
- This is a time intensive recipe and with the flavor of these babies, a little goes a long way!
Ingredients for the Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms:
- 1 dozen stuffing mushrooms (I used baby portabellos)
- Pine nuts
Instructions for the Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms:
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Clean and hollow out the inside of the mushrooms.
- Spoon in about a tbsp. of pesto into each mushroom.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, remove from baking sheet onto serving dish.
- Garnish with extra pine nuts
Both of these recipes are wonderful additions to any gathering, holiday, winter, summer etc. Enjoy!!!