This recipe was a fluke! My kids were dying for home-baked dessert tonight and the ingredients in my pantry were not really cooperating so much. So, I kind of winged and the result was amazing! I had apples, grass-fed butter, almond flour, maple syrup and spices so I knew I was going for some kind of fruit based dessert. The kids were willing to peel and cut the apples (psyched), so I looked around the kitchen to figure out what else to include. See below for the details!!!!!
Skillet Apple Pie
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 – 25 minutes
- 5 apples (pink lady or honey crisp) peeled and cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup grass-fed butter or ghee
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. vanilla
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- In a large skillet, warm the butter over a low heat.
- Add the apples to the pan and make sure to coat with the butter.
- Then add the cinnamon and nutmeg, followed by the maple syrup and the vanilla.
- Stir to coat well and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cover the skillet and let the apples soften and meld with the other ingredients for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Uncover the skillet and add 1/4 cup of almond flour and stir well to coat, but be careful not to break the apples.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup of almond flour and combine.
- Remove from the heat to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Spoon into serving cups and eat immediately.
You could sprinkle with some shredded coconut or raisins or slivered almonds. You could also top with coconut milk whipped cream. If you do, let me know how it turns out!!