I really love soup. I really really love soup. I love how it makes my kitchen smell. I love how it feels going down your throat, I love how it makes your belly feel after you eat. It is just all good. Butternut squash soup has always been one of my favorites and way back when I would eat it even though it was filled with dairy and deal with the stomach ache and other side effects anyhow. This soup is just as creamy and delicious, but is made with coconut milk instead. In my opinion, it doesn’t really have a coconut-y flavor at all, but rather just tastes creamy and smooth.
I wanted the soup to be a one dish meal, so I added spinach and ground turkey to it. I also served up a version with crumbled bacon and diced chilies. Both are totally filling and satisfying, as is the soup straight up on its own. One caveat – my kids don’t/won’t eat it, so I purely made this for Matt and me. I have a bucket load in the freezer too, for emergency meals too. You can definitely cut this recipe in half, as it makes a lot!!
Butternut Squash Soup Three Ways
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 6 – 8 hours
Servings: 8 – 10
- 4 lbs. chopped butternut squash (I was totally lazy and bought pre-cut organic squash)
- 2 cups chicken stock (look for a brand with no added sugar like Simply Stock by Pacific or make your own)
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk (I use Aroy-D brand)
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Take out your slow cooker and set to low for 8 hours.
- Add chopped squash first, followed by the liquids and finally the spices.
- Walk away and don’t think about the soup for hours.
- I checked on it about half way through to stir a little bit.
- At about 7 hours, the squash was very soft and ready to be pureed.
- Insert your immersion blender into the crockpot and blend until squash is smooth.
Version 1: Serve soup immediately and enjoy. You can add some cinnamon if desired.
Version 2: Brown 2 lbs. of ground turkey or pork in a medium sized skillet. Add meat to soup pot along with 1 container of Olivia’s organic spinach. Stir to combine and serve immediately.
Version 3: Cook 1 lb. of paleo bacon or turkey bacon. Crumble and add to the soup. Add 2 cans of diced chilies or 1 cup of diced jalapeno peppers for more kick. Stir to combine and serve immediately.
If you are not sure which version you want to eat, keep the add-ins on the side and combine them with your soup just before eating instead of adding to the whole batch of soup. You can also sprinkle some sunflower seeds on top of any version for some extra crunch.