I made this recipe up a few weeks ago on a night that I was really too busy to make dinner, but my guilty conscience was getting the best of me. You know that little voice that looks like a cupcake that says – it is ok to feed your kids chicken nuggets and french fries, you never do that. Then the other louder voice that looks like an apple says – you are all about what you eat and setting an example for your kids. You can certainly figure out something to whip up quickly that is yummy and healthy.
So after that internal dialogue, I quickly stopped at the market on the way home from carpool and picked up some pre-cut beef. That is definitely not a necessity for this recipe, but it does make things go more quickly. I scoured the frig for some other critical ingredients that everyone likes – green beans – check, onions – check, pineapple – check, mushrooms – half check (but they were big enough to pick out), coconut secret brand teriyaki sauce – check. It was as simple as that and in 10 minutes, dinner was on the table and in 20, the plates were cleared with no leftovers in site!
Easy Beef Teriyaki
Prep Time: 5 minutes (if you buy pre-cut ingredients, 10 if you don’t)
Cook Time: 8 – 10 minutes
Servings: 5 – 6
- 2 lbs. sirloin steak strips, grass-fed if possible, but grain fed is fine too. (if you cut yourself, make the pieces thin so they cook quickly) You could also use flank steak or flat iron steak, since those are thin cuts and will be easy to get into strips
- 2 cups pre-cut fresh pineapple or 1 can canned pineapple chunks, with the juice drained
- 1 cup diced onions, again I had pre-cut from trader joes, but you could also use scallions if that is easier
- 1/2 – 3/4 package (approximately 1 – 1 1/2 cups) pre-cut baby bella mushrooms (optional)
- 1 package organic green beans, cut in half or about 1 pound if you buy fresh. You can also substitute broccoli or asparagus or any green veggie your family likes.
- 1 1/2 cups coconut secret brand teriyaki sauce (you can get this from amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Coconut-Secret-Aminos-Teriyaki-Sauce/dp/B00LF597J4/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1419869161&sr=1-1&keywords=coconut+secret+teriyaki+sauce)
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot flour mixed with 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- Warm 1 tbsp. coconut oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onions, mushrooms and green beans and sauté for about 3 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the steak and stir to make sure it is cooking evenly, about 2 minutes.
- Add the pineapple and combine.
- Add the teriyaki sauce and stir well.
- Add the arrowroot flour mixture just as all the ingredients are cooked through. This will help make the sauce thicker.
- Let the dish simmer for a minute or two.
- Serve immediately over cauliflower rice or basmati rice.
Simple, Sweet and Satisfying!