Busted? This is a repeat picture from my Tangy Brisket recipe. I am spread a little think these days and I totally forgot to snap a picture of my Crockpot Brisket. It pretty much looked like this although the gravy was a little thinner and I didn’t make it with parsnips. I started with the basics from the Tangy Brisket anyhow, but just made it easier by taking out a few ingredients and cooking it in the crockpot. This recipe is perfect for a weeknight, but I still prefer the oven version for company.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 6 – 8 hours
- 3 lbs. brisket
- 1 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 4 oz. applesauce
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 14 oz. can beef broth
- 1 can tomato sauce or diced tomatoes (I ran out of sauce)
- 1/2 cup diced onions or scallions
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper
- arrowroot flour, as needed
- Plug in your crockpot.
- Add meat to the crockpot, with any visible fat trimmed.
- Sprinkle chopped onions over the meat.
- In medium sized bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients.
- Pour over the brisket.
- At the half way point, turn the brisket over in the crockpot to make sure it is really cooking evenly.
- Brisket should be fork tender when it is ready.
- Remove from crockpot to a wooden cutting board.
- Slice brisket against the grain in medium-thick slices.
- Serve with gravy on top and mashed sweet potatoes.
Note – If the gravy isn’t thick enough, you can add 1 tbsp. arrowroot flour dissolved in 2 tbsp. water to help it thicken. If that doesn’t work, transfer gravy to a sauce pan and heat on stovetop, adding a little more arrowroot flour with water.