So I know, you are thinking most cold asian salads are made with cabbage, right? Well, I always need to think a little outside of the box with my digestion, so I wanted to create an asian salad, that still has the crunch, but skip the cabbage. Broc Slaw was the answer. I have another tried and true Broc Slaw recipe on the blog https://contemporarycavegirl.wordpress.com/2014/09/03/chicken-broc-slaw-salad/ but this is a nice more contemporary update. The asian version still has protein, with the chicken, and some good crunch, but a totally new flavor. Just like the other version, this salad improves with age!
Asian Broc Slaw Salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes (excluding chicken prep)
Cook Time: None, but allow to marinate at least 4 hours before serving if possible
- 1 10 ounce package broc slaw
- 4 stalks of celery, diced into 1/2 inch pices
- 1 – 2 red peppers (depending on how small), chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs. cooked chicken (rotisserie, leftover or from the whole foods salad bar), cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp. white sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp. black sesame seeds
- 5 – 6 drops of sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp. minced ginger
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 3 tbsp. chili sauce (this is the brand that I used, which isn’t totally paleo, but easier than making my own version up on the fly) http://organicvillefoods.com/products/condiments/organic-chili-sauce/
- Pour the broc slaw into a large container with a tight cover.
- Add in the celery, red pepper, scallions and cilantro and shake to combine.
- Spoon in the sesame seeds.
- In a mason jar, combine the sriracha, chili sauce, vinegar, coconut aminos, oil and ginger and shake well.
- Pour 1/2 of the dressing over the slaw and shake again to combine.
- Check to see if there is sufficient dressing and add more as needed.
- Sprinkle salt on to taste and shake again.
- Place in the fridge for the flavors to meld for 4 hours if possible, but longer is fine too.
- Check the slaw before serving and add additional dressing if needed.
- Garnish with some additional cilantro!