Matt has been asking me to make a pizza with a cauliflower crust for a long time. He has even sent me a link to a recipe, so I figured I’d give it a try. I have made meatzas, almond flour crust pizza, chicken pizza, breakfast pizza, so why not? My kids will usually eat any version of pizza as long as it has plenty of meat on top of it and mozzarella cheese, which I omit for me.
This crust recipe is not my own, it is from Stir It Up. Since I don’t eat cauliflower anyhow (it is a FODMAP = Bad for IBS), I decided not to play around with the recipe and just follow the directions. Everyone, even my kids that are not big cauliflower fans, really enjoyed the meal. I had a tiny bite and did really like it too!
I only bought one head of cauliflower but I needed to make 2 pizzas, so fortunately I had some extra Traders Joes cauliflower rice on hand to use for the second crust. It worked out really well, so if you have to do the same thing, it is a really good plan!
Cauliflower Crust Meat Lover’s Pizza – Crust from Stir It Up
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes for the crust, then another 10 with the toppings
Servings: 3 – 4 (with 1 crust)
Ingredients for the crust:
- 1 large head of cauliflower, well trimmed and cut into florets with little to no stem and chopped in the food processor OR 1 bag of cauliflower rice cooked based on the instructions and cooled.
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup goat cheese (in a package, not crumbled)
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. sea salt
Ingredients for the meat pizza toppings – choose what you like!:
- 1/2 package turkey or regular pepperoni (we like applegate farms turkey)
- 2 slices of ham
- 4 sausage links (we like applegate farms pork)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 4 – 6 slices of crumbled bacon (we like wellshire farms paleo bacon or nieman ranch)
- 1/2 jar Raos brand tomato basil pasta sauce
- 1/2 package mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Other veggies as you desire
- Additional Oregano for sprinkling
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the cauliflower rice with the goat cheese, egg, salt and oregano and mix together well.
- Make sure if you are using frozen rice that it is not liquidy. If it is, before you combine it, try to press it down and strain it in a colander.
- Spread the crust out on the baking sheet making sure no spots are too thin or too thick.
- Place in the oven to bake for about 30 minutes. Make sure to check 20/25 minutes through to make sure the crust is not getting too crispy.
- While the crust is baking, you can saute the ground beef in a small frying pan and bake the bacon if it is not already cooked.
- Cut the pre-cooked sausage and ham into smaller pieces too.
- When you remove the crust, layer on the sauce, the meat and finally the cheese.
- Reduce the heat on the oven to 375 degrees and place the pizza back into the oven for about 10 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes and serve it up – watch it disappear!