I wanted to make an easy appetizer that would be a crowd pleaser for my Stella and Dot/Beauty Counter party the other night. I used to be really militant about not making a recipe that I wouldn’t eat myself. However, these days I am eating such a limited diet, I decided that was a silly rule and I was going to branch out. Many following a paleo lifestyle have added full fat dairy back into their diets. This is not something that I could do, but I have many friends who have successfully made the transition. If you tolerate dairy well, this can be a nice way to add some extra fat into your diet and help you to feel satiated.
For the appetizer, I used different colored tomatoes to add some interest to the dish, but it isn’t necessary, especially if you can’t find the golden ones. I found appetizer sized bamboo skewers at party city, and those were pretty clutch for the presentation. Here is what you do …
Prep Time: 10 – 15 minutes
Cook Time: None
Servings: 10, 2 skewers each
- 40 grape sized tomatoes (I mixed golden and red ones)
- 40 bite sized mozzarella balls
- 40 small-ish basil leaves
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- black pepper
- To make the dressing, in a small bottle, combine the olive oil and balsamic vinegar, shake well, then set aside.
- Take a skewer and first insert a tomato, then a basil leaf, then 2 mozzarella balls, then another basil leaf, then another tomato.
- Place on a rectangular plate or tray and repeat until all ingredients have been used up.
- Sprinkle black pepper of the skewers.
- Just before serving, drizzle the dressing over the skewers.