Looking for an alternative to a traditional bread stuffing? Even with a gluten-free bread cube, many options still include less than desirable ingredients, which makes quinoa a great alternative. This stuffing has all the flavors you are looking for with stuffing, onions (scallions), mushrooms, pecans, celery, sage and thyme, but it will not give you digestive distress in the end. You can make the stuffing vegan or paleo, just by changing the kind of broth you use to make the quinoa. LOVE that! Even though stuffing is usually served at holidays, this recipe is simple enough that it is great side dish to accompany a weeknight dinner too!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes for the quinoa (+/-), 10 minutes to assemble
Servings: 6 generous side dish servings
- 1 cup quinoa (I used rainbow)
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. garlic infused olive oil
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced scallions or onions
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups sliced mushrooms (I used baby bella, but any variety is fine)
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped
- 1/8 cup fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt and pepper (Adjust as needed based on taste)
- Prepare quinoa according to package instructions, using broth instead of water.
- Dice veggies, by hand so they are chunky and coarsely chop nuts and fresh herbs in the food processor (separately).
- Add olive oil to a large frying pan and warm over medium heat.
- Saute scallions or onions, celery and mushrooms until softened.
- Add quinoa to pan and stir combine.
- Then add nuts, sage and thyme and stir.
- Add salt and pepper and additional cup of broth as needed to moisten the stuffing mixture.
- Make sure to taste quinoa to ensure proper seasoning. You can add additional dried thyme and sage if needed too.
- Finally add parsley, stir and serve.
If you want to make this recipe ahead, you can dice veggies, nuts and herbs a day in advance. You can also assemble the stuffing, place in a baking dish and reheat at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes until warm throughout.