I have looked at coconut rice recipes before and always thought, what is the big deal, how could adding coconut milk to rice make such a big difference? Umm, so I was totally wrong, I definitely didn’t know what I was missing! This coconut rice is unbelievable. It was so creamy, it like melts in your mouth. Do not skip with step of rinsing the rice. This makes a big difference in preventing it from becoming sticky. This recipe is slightly modified from a NY Times Cooking recipe, which is one of my newer sources for recipe inspiration. It is definitely not paleo, but has a nice mix of gluten and dairy free options each week.
Basmati Coconut Rice
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 6 side dish sized servings
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 1 to 1 ½ cups coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 2 – 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger or 1 tbsp. jarred minced ginger
- Place rice in a fine strainer, and rinse with cold water until water runs clear.
- Transfer to a medium saucepan. Add 1 cup water, coconut milk, chicken broth and salt. Cover, and place over medium-high heat.
- Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce and simmer until liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in scallions and ginger, stirring as little as possible.
- Add a little more coconut milk if rice is too dry. Season to taste with salt.
- Let sit for about 3 – 5 minutes to allow rice to cool slightly and prevent it from sticking. Then serve immediately.