I almost feel guilty putting this post on my blog. This recipe has become my go to, “I don’t feel like making dinner and I need something fast” recipe. It is so easy and honestly, my family loves it so much sometimes I wonder why I even bother making anything else, seriously. But then, what’s not to love, meat, pasta, sauce, cheese, some veggies …. MMMM!
Many American Chop Suey recipes include peppers and honestly, it is usually too much trouble to cut one if you are going for the super fast meal. However, (1) if you family likes them go for it and (2) buy pre-cut peppers. That is why I use spinach instead! If you feel like making it harder on yourself, you can combine the ingredients and pour them into a casserole dish, sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and bake for 10 minutes or so. But then, you just need to wash another pan, so why bother? 🙂
Gluten Free American Chop Suey
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 6 hearty servings
- 1 box of gluten-free pasta (any shape and variety) prepared according to instructions
- 2 lbs. ground beef (grass-fed or pasture raised if possible)
- 1 24 ounce jar of spaghetti sauce
- 1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes (fire roasted if possible)
- 1 5 ounce container fresh baby spinach
- 1 6 ounce container diced yellow onion (most local markets carry, don’t worry if not organic)
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup Shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 2 tbsp. garlic infused olive oil or 2 tbsp. EVOO and 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 – 3 tablespoons herb of choice: Oregano, Italian seasoning or Herb de Provence
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare pasta according to instructions, drain and set aside. (You can also do this earlier in the day.)
- Steam spinach in silicone steamer in microwave and cut leaves into smaller pieces with kitchen shears.
- Brown the ground beef in olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add diced onion into meat and cook thoroughly.
- Add spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes and tomato paste one at a time, stirring in between each addition.
- Then add in spinach and finally pasta and stir.
- Finally, add dried spice, salt and pepper.
- Cook until mixed well and warm throughout.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and stir to combine
- Serve immediately with a pinch of additional cheese if desired.