This is my boys’ favorite new recipe. Lucky for me this recipe is super easy. The best thing about it is that it can be cooked in pieces and assembled right before you are ready to eat. OR, you can just cook it all at once. Either way it is ready in less than 30 minutes and it’s a one pot meal, protein, carb, fat altogether, including both a starchy and a not so starchy carb.
Based on these quantities, with my 3 teenage sons and husband eating, there is always enough leftover for at least one lunch then next day, sometimes two. Today there is just one so I guess they were really hungry last night.
Sausage and Potato Skillet
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6 – 8 depending on family size (Cut in half for smaller families)
- 8 fresh sausage links – I buy the garlic and herb ones at Whole Foods
- 1 bag of fingerling potatoes or another small variety of your choice
- 1 bag of pre-cut green beans – I like Pero Family Farms Organic
- 1 cut of pre-cut onions or cut yourself, but make it easy for yourselves
- 2 tbsp. garlic infused olive oil or 2 tbsp. EVOO and 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. Herb de Provence
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Half or quarter the potatoes so that they are bite sized (this helps them cook faster too).
- Cut the green beans in half with kitchen shears.
- Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place sausages on one sheet and potatoes on the other.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp. olive oil (and 1 tsp. of minced garlic if using) and a sprinkle of salt over the potatoes.
- Roast in the oven until potatoes are soft and sausages are browned. You will have to check 1/2 way to stir and flip. This takes about 20 – 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, take out a large skillet and put the remaining olive oil and garlic if using in the pan.
- Warm on a medium heat and add the green beans and onions to soften. Then remove from heat to wait for sausage and potatoes.
- Once the sausages are cooked through, let them cool slightly and slice into pieces and add to skillet along with potatoes.
- Sprinkle Herb de Provence and additional salt and pepper, stirring to combine on medium heat, for about 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
If you want to make this recipe ahead of time, simply cook the sausages and potatoes in advance earlier in the day. You can even cut the sausages in advance if you have time to make assembly that much quicker. Take the sausage and potatoes out of the fridge to warm up for about 15 minutes and then follow the steps 8 – 12 above.